Journal Entry #476
June 19th, 2011
Creationism or as it is referred to now as Intelligent Design was created by humanity to fulfill a basic need and that need is to feel important, to be valued. Sure it was designed to answer the questions we feel are so important. Why we are here, who are we and what our purpose in life is and at the time it was created with the available understanding of life it fulfilled its purpose but now we know better.
Science has proven that biblical or any other Creation story fostered from religious doctrine is simply not true. We have answered many of the questions with more verified answers and refuted the answers it provides so it is time we acknowledged this. I realize that Evolution does not fill the need of feeling valued the way being the chosen creation of a god will but evolution is the truth. We have learned to see our value in other ways.
Our answers above all should be based on what is true not what we want to be true and Evolution is a fact based on what we do know. I am not going to get into the silly unverified arguments that have been presented form the Creationist position because if you truly value truth you can seek them out for yourself. You can look into what Evolution demonstrates and get the facts before you refute it. If you are to look at the information from an unbiased position with the truth as your goal Evolution will prevail. I fully admit there are many questions we do not know the answers to and that is the journey. We don’t know the answer to the big questions such as where did everything come from but to fill in the blank with what you want it to be without verification is simply the argument from ignorance.
Let me just ask some simple questions to challenge the concept of design. I could certainly come up with a better design if I had cart blanch to design the universe. I am referring to the design of this planet and humanity and really who am I. That will be for another post.
My questions if we are designed;
- When someone designs something they test it out and are constantly improving the faults of their design, either God is not bothering to continue this process, he made a bad design which means he is not god or he likes the design the way it is with all the flaws of the design. Which is it?
- Why do we get zits?
- Why do we breathe through the same hole we eat through when the possibility to choke to death exists. Is this not a terrible design?
- What purpose does male pattern baldness serve?
- Why do we get diseases?
- What is the purpose of dying horribly?
- Why do we hurt or kill each other?
- Why don’t we have eyes in the back of our head as well?
- Why do our bodies break down so easily?
- Why do we get fat?
- Why do we need to eat? Could he not have devised a better system of obtaining energy?
- Why are some things prey and others predator?
- Why can’t we breathe underwater?
- Why do most species not survive and go extinct if we are designed so perfectly?
- Why is there evidence for Evolution everywhere but none for Creation?
- Why was I created to be able to deny god?
- Why can’t we fly it sure would be easier to get around?
Just a few simple questions that are not answered by Creation with any rationality an yet the answers are found through science. Why is that? I know because Science works and Evolution is true while creation or ID is not.
So really Creationism is all about our need to feel important, to be valued and a god provides this initially but then the system of rules lead to other problems. Once you see the reasoning for the Creation stories, why the myth was created which was believed to be true at the time it was created one can see that in this modern world there is no place for it as being true.
Creationism does not belong in the science classroom. It does not belong as being valued as true. It belongs in the realm of mythology and eventually all gods end up there so let’s just give this one a little boost of reason and put it where it belongs.